(TV) City Lights & Tom Verlaine

I love City Lights and go there often. I recently picked up the Lester Bangs bio and the Meltzer "A whore just like the rest" there. (Side note: I wanted to see what the fuss was about Meltzer, and I thought this book REALLY sucked royally- and then I hear from this list that he preferred BOC to the great NY music of the time and I thought "what a complete idiot").

I was surprised Verlaine even subconsciously would make the "bigger is better" argument after seeing his pictures from the mid-'70's. His arms look so skinny that I could put my hand around them. Does Tom have a macho aspect to his personality?