Re: (TV) i mean cookies

At 7:21 PM -0500 3/1/01, SCOTT ALDRICH wrote:
I think the addition of the word "female" to "ranting artist" sounds
slightly patronizing,

I read Eric's statement as the _opposite_ of patronizing. Not only was she "transgressing" societal boundaries in the way that "ranting artist" types do, she was transgressing accepted gender roles as well. While at the time, some guy modelling himself on, say, Iggy Pop, Bob Dylan, Keith Richards, etc. wouldn't be that big of a deal, a woman doing the same was very unusual. What I read Eric as saying was that Patti deserves _even more_ credit for claiming the "ranting artist" role for herself. So it's *not* "not bad for a girl"; it's that she did it having to work even harder against the societal forces that worked against that for women.

The line for contradictions forms right over here ->

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/