Re: (TV) (was: Favourite Film)

In a message dated 3/19/01 4:32:45 AM, maurice@mac.com writes:

<< So how did _you_ first encounter TV? >>

I read a biography on Patti Smith and of course it mentioned her
collaborations with Verlaine so I picked up Marquee Moon.   I'm pretty young,
and I've been into newer independent music for a while, but in the past
couple years I've taken more interest in the music that influenced the
post-punk & indie I listened to (esp. women musicians like the Slits, Lene
Lovich, Patti...) .  How I find out about music usually-- the 3 magic words:
Mix Tape Swap.

I've been going through some of the old threads and I came across the one
about the state of modern music--rap, radio rock, etc.  so I feel compelled
to throw in the short version of my $0.02 -- Yes, there is amazing music
being made today in innumerable genres.  But if you're listening to your
local commercial radio station to try and find it, you probably won't.  :)
Actually, I think there's a major rediscovery of older music going on, at
least among the underground-ish scene. Kill Rock Stars has just re-issued
Kleenex/Liliput for example, and I've heard quite a few new & no-wave
influenced bands popping up.   Tons of new musicians are pushing the
boundaries of what is/isn't music, "song" structure, time signature, noise,
electronics, etc.  and have more interesting things to write about than
praise for thong underwear, slappin' bitches, and "I wore a trench coat in
high school and everyone hated me so I made this depressing band!"

xoSusan