Re: (TV) OT: Nuggets II

----- Original Message -----
From: christopher hollow <doughboy@netspace.net.au>
To: <tv@obbard.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: (TV) OT: Nuggets II

> i still trying to get over the fact that Australia is still part of the
> British Empire ...
> i mean it adds volumes to the Nuggets II set but ...
> bring on the revolution!
> chris

Yes Chris -  it is hard for us living here to believe it as well.
Australians overwhelmingly support a republic but cannot agree on the type
of Government system they want to replace the current system.  The current
Prime Minister is opposed to a republic.  In a recent referendum (proposed
by the PM) one type of model for government was put up to split the republic
vote.  Half of those in favour of a republic but opposed to the model
presented voted with those against a republic to defeat the proposition.

Change will come.  Sorry to bore those not really interested in Australian
politics.

On the Nuggets box set there are a number of fantastic Australian tracks
from the 60's.  Most of you would have heard the Easybeats (the best Oz band
of the 60's no doubt - Friday on my Mind is just about my favourite 60's
single ever) but ther are many othe fantastic Australian tracks on this set.
In particular the tracks by The Atlantics, The Missing Links, and the The
Masters Apprentices are great tracks.  Also the La De Da's, The Elois and
even the Ronnie Burns track Exit Stage Right (actually written by the Gibb
Brothers - dont panic its good) are good beat pop type tracks.  There is an
Australian label called Raven that has released many compilations of
Australian 60's tracks and most of the stuff is very good.  For Nuggets
fans, the best would be a compilation called Ugly Things (originally
released on vinyl in the 80's but compiled onto cd in the 90's).  Worth
checking out.

FYI

Alan