Re: (TV) Michael Carlucci's Gloom/Doom

At 02:20 PM 4/11/2001 -0400, Michael Carlucci wrote:
   I'm only going by what my zany NY friends who went told me. They were not
too pleased especially with Verlaine's performance. These are the very same
people who loved the '92 re-union while I thought it was too K-Roc-ish.
While I really like the Capitol LP I didn't get that much ou of the live
shows, and again mainly with Tom. I'm sure alot of it has to do with Tom
reaching a point of what else can he do that he hasn't done before to
dazzle the audience. Richard is always a professional as is Tom most of the
time. I just think that he's regretting having committed to this. I didn't
mean to confuse anyone, just voicing an opinion on what has been handed dwn
to me. M T C

Michael,

Maybe Tom was hanging back because he wasn't comfortable playing in the band at this point in the reunion. I don't know how much he practices or plays these days beyond the Patti Smith gigs, but presumably he doesn't play as much as Richard, who has a working band. I only saw one of the RL Band shows at Manitoba's, which Chris Butler said was the worst show they'd ever played, but even so Richard's passion was obvious. He's also improved as a player, IMO--his solos weren't as wild as in the old days, but they were musically more inventive and sophisticated (CB: "At some rehearsals he sounds like Coltrane.").

This is only speculation, but Tom might have been surprised by how much Richard's improved musically since they last played together, and how together his act is. Maybe Tom felt his playing would suffer by comparison, or maybe he simply wasn't confident that he could complement Richard's playing until they'd gotten to know each other again musically.

Still hoping for an East Coast show,

Jim K.