Re: (TV) MP3/CD players (was: New Member)

--- "Mark M." <markm@adnc.com> wrote:
> I've seen some Walkman type players that can play mp3
> directly from the CD now , so that you can put a hours of stuff on one
> disk... still expensive, though.

Well, more expensive than a Discman, but cheaper than a 'pure' MP3 player. I
have a Rio Volt (http://www.riohome.com/products/riovolt.htm), which cost $180,
and can play regular music CDs as well as CD-Rs and CD-RWs packed with MP3 or
WMA files. It's the same size and weight as a CD player, and slightly less
skip-prone (since, at least when playing MP3s and WMAs, the disc only spins up
every minute or so and caches the next minute of music). It just came out in
February, as I was deciding between replacing my failing Discman or buying an
MP3 player, and it put an end to the argument very quickly! It's great being
able to put something like 10-12 hours of music on a single CD (at 128kbps).

It's also got upgradeable firmware, so if you buy it, be sure you download the
upgrade - the original release was missing some nice features that the newer
firmware has introduced (no gap between files when playing, 'resume' feature
for CDs with MP3/WMA files, etc.)

Anyhow, I recommend it.

--Philip