(TV) Bowie/Verlaine

Did Bowie actually write most of his early songs?  I know they're all
credited to him, exclusively.  However, a number of them are quite
complicated (extreme key changes, obscure chord patterns, tempo and meter
changes throughout the song, etc.)  I had always heard that Bowie was not a
particularly good guitarist/piano player/sax player, however many of his
early songs seem to show someone who obviously knows a lot about song craft.
It's not just three chord pop.  Did he get a lot of "help"?

Didn't Tom Verlaine play on some of the sessions for Scary Monsters?  Did he
and Bowie have creative differences?