Re: (TV) OT: Thouroughly random comments on VU and White Light/White Heat & John Cale

Cale's solo albums are generally good to great, but stylistically he's all over
the place. The closest thing to WHITE LIGHT / WHITE HEAT would be FEAR, which I
highly recommend. FEAR was preceded by his best pure 'pop' album, PARIS 1919,
which is also recommended. If you like FEAR, it's followed by two albums that
are just as good in parts (SLOW DAZZLE and HELEN OF TROY).

All of these are in print now - you can even find FEAR, SLOW DAZZLE, and HELEN
OF TROY, plus some outtakes, collected on a 2CD set called THE ISLAND YEARS.

I agree that WL/WH doesn't sound like any of the other Velvets albums, and
while it's the VU album I listen to least, I still enjoy it. Be sure to check
out the two live 1967 tracks on the VU Polygram box, which maintain the same
sound.

--Philip