(TV) Buffalo Springfield

Speaking of great Rhino releases has anybody else been lapping up the long
awaited Buffalo Springfield box set. There's a few quibbles but basically
it's a complete gem especially for hardened fans who love hearing demo
versions. The re-mastering job is absolutely superb. Tracks like Broken
Arrow and Expecting to Fly have never sounded so beautiful and rich.
A highlight for me has been the unreleased band version of Down Down Down
which later mutated into Broken Arrow. Also there's the instrumental Falcon
Lake with Neil Young and Buddy Miles thrashing away that becaome Here We Are
in the Years... The Stills vocal version of Down to the Wire is also
brilliant although it doesn't contain the amp crashing sound that appears on
an old bootleg of mine.

Unfortunately Neil didn't include a couple of songs off Last Time Around
like the original mix of On the Way Home (although there is a poppier remix
sans horns etc) and one of my underrated favourites - In the Hour of Not
Quite Rain (a close relative to the wiggy ways of the late 60s Beach Boys).

The one real winner is drummer Dewey Martin ... the remastering brings out
his playing and shows it to be both subtle and inventive.

chris
ps - looking forward to checking out Echo & the Bunnymen's Crystal Days.