(TV) Cars

I saw both the Cars and their previous incarnation, Cap'n Swing, a lot back
in ye olde pre-internet days.  Cap'n Swing had a much more overt
Roxy/Velvets/Steely Dan sound - in fact, they sounded like Velvets songs
done by studio cats.  The sound became sparser in the Cars - possibly
because of David Robinson (who wasn't a jazz tinged Berklee-ite like Swing's
drummer was).  On the other hand, "LJJ" was out and getting heard - TV even
played Boston once prior to Marquee Moon - and I can't believe someone in
the band didn't hear it and say "Aha!" (or possibly "Jesus, ANYone can make
a record these days").  And while their albums tend to be a little excessive
(if you've got 40 tracks, you'll use 'em), you should check out the Rhino
deluxe reissue of the first Cars album to hear what they sounded like before
they had a budget and new instruments.  Regardless of what you think of
them, you've gotta give them some credit - for their first few headlining
tours, the insisted on having local bands open for them in each city.