(TV) Blue Oyster Cult

In the past I've been skeptical about BOC, but the other day a friend played
their first album for me. I was knocked out, they were actually a cool band!
It reminded me of Television in the sense that they were not basing their
music too much on the blues. Does anyone know anything about their early
years in New York? I know of the connections with TV, the Lanier demos, and
Patti Smith, but was BOC a part of the New York thing at all. Or were they
another Kiss or something?