(TV) Re: TV Digest V1 #473

In a message dated 8/28/01 10:56:54 AM Central Daylight Time,
tv-owner@brainiac.com writes:

>So I was pleasantly surprised----even a little shocked-----when
>his short "The Billboard Top Ten" turned out to be a brilliant
>piece of writing.  He paints a picture of the future of pop music
>(based on his listening to last month's Top Ten albums) in
>which he skillfully manages to be both terrifying and hilarious.
>To get back on topic:  Although Hornby does not explicitly
>mention Television or Verlaine (I'd really be stunned if he's ever
>listened to them in his life), the future limned in this piece is a
>future with no room for their music.

Well, Leo, whatever the case may be, he is at least *aware* of them. Perhaps
you missed out on the fact that in High Fidelity the Charlie is at one point
described as wearing a Television t-shirt? Besides, I'm sure that, despite
your interpretation of Hornby's apparent musical tastes (one which I share to
a certain extent), that he probably has in fact listened to them. Or have you
forgotten what a big success Marquee Moon was in the UK? ;)

-nick