(TV) Hornby & Television Redux (Despite Admitting I'm Probably Wrong, Nick Hornby vs TV Just Won't Die!)

Nick said:

> Well, Leo, whatever the case may be, he is at least
>  *aware* of them. Perhaps you missed out on the
> fact that in High Fidelity the Charlie is at one point
> described as wearing a Television t-shirt? Besides,
> I'm sure that, despite your interpretation of Hornby's
> apparent musical tastes (one which I share to a
>  certain extent), that he probably has in fact listened
>  to them. > Or have you forgotten what a big success
>  Marquee Moon >  was in the UK? ;)
> -nick

Your point is well taken. I don't know if you sent
your e-mail before you saw that I had already been
deservedly chastised by Philip and Eric,
Leo admitted:
> OK, you guys have got me!
or if you had already read my subsequent quasi-lame
defense?

No, I will *never, ever* forget that our brothers and
sisters in the UK showed in the late 70s that they
possessed (and still do?) superior taste (I sincerely
mean that) to the dunderheads in the U.S. and to the
sheep-like musical taste of the American public
(with a few minor exceptions) in 1977.

Yes, I was aware that the album "Marquee Moon"
reached # 28 in UK and its single, the title track
reached # 30 (by God, "Adventure" reached # 7 in UK!).

However, if I was a betting man I would be willing to
wager a considerable sum of money that although
Nick Hornby has most likely 'heard of'
Television/Verlaine, their music has never been
seriously listened to/analyzed by him, is appreciated
by him or received his respect (just check-out his infinite
variety of "top 10/top 5" music LISTS.  And yes, I realize
that these lists are partly just a literary device to help
show the obsessiveness of "Hi Fidelity's main character,
Rob, and Rob's incapability of being able to sustain a
mature relationship with a woman).

But where else in his novels or any of his non fiction
music writings has Television's music ever been
mentioned (with the single exception above-----and
even there only in a rather tangential, off-handed way).

Finally, regarding:
> Rob's former flame Charlie is said to have "put
> on a Television t-shirt."

One (plausible?) interpretation of Hornby's t-shirt remark
could be that Hornby regarded Television as one of those
terribly over-rated, 'arty' rock bands.  Hornby then shows
his own (and his main character, Rob's) contempt for this
type of music by having a character in the book------an
EX-FLAME [emphasis added] of Rob's named Charlie-----
described as "..put[ting] on a Television t-shirt", thereby
making Rob feel vindicated and smug about the fact that
this particular relationship didn't last.  After all she (Charlie)
could never make-it in Rob's pantheon (or top 5 list) of
former  lovers in his life, certainly not with her pretentious
taste in music like Television.

	Leo