Re: (TV) Stevie

From: Joe Hartley <jh@brainiac.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
CC: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) Stevie
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 20:17:16 -0400 (EDT)

"Eric Veillette" <ericgv@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I can't disagree more. Stevie was the real deal no matter what color he
> >was(I am assuming with your wonderbread comment that that you were
> >commenting on his skin color). I had the privilage of seeing him live it
> >was just awe inspiring.
> >lisa

I think the "wonderbread" comment was not about skin color; Wonder Bread
is this bog-awful stuff that resembles soft styrofoam in look, texture and
taste.  It is to bread what Taco Bell is to Mexican cuisine.

And having seen SRV live twice (on the same night! *) he had a lot
more soul than, say, Eric Clapton.

Clapton just seems to get worse and worse as the years go on. Pilgrim, along with Sting's Brand New Day have to be some of the worst albums of recent memory.

> The guitarists that get to me are the vai and satriani types, the ones that
> all the metalheads and guitar-kids would speak incessantly about back in
> high school.

All flash and technique, very little substance there.  A friend of mine
calls them the "needly-needly" guitarists because their solos always end
up on the neck playing needly-needly-needly-needly-needly-needly :)

I think that's why guys like Verlaine work for me, and all of you, i suppose. I used to read Guitar World alot when i was 14-15, and trying out all these lessons included within which I had no hope of figuring out, simply because my body could not handle that much speed. When I heard Verlaine and those guys, dudes who could pick a note and actually stick with it, say something meaningful... That's when I realized what it was all about.

Regardless, Guitar World is an awful rag.

* Saw SRV play an early show at a local college here once - I believe it was
Halloween night because I was wearing a monk's robe and women seemed >to be

women dig monks, apparently.

to see Los Lobos, and SRV joined them for a night of music that >remains one of the best I've
ever seen.

Los Lobos is one of those bands I've always loved but I really don't know where to start. That boxed set looks interesting but I don't want to go that far. Can anyone recommended a good starting point?

G'nite y'all,