(TV) Re: TV Digest V1 #523

It's about time I heard someone else besides me saying something about the
production on that album. It's horrible. Is it necessary to filter all the
vocals and distort them slightly? The guitars...fuck...I don't know WHAT they
did, but they certainly don't sound like guitars very much. Which would be
fine if they weren't supposed to sound like guitars, but the songs aren't
experimental -just good, basic rock 'n' roll. Anyone have any comments? They
just sound canned...I wish I knew how they were recorded. Better still, I
wish they'd realize how they were recorded and how awful it sounds, because
it really undercuts the quality of the songs themselves. I missed them when
they came to Chicago, but the live MP3's floating around really say a lot
about what was lost in the recording -it's almost like comparing the single
version of "Little Johnny Jewel" to a good live version of the track.
Granted, "LJJ" live has a lot more room for improvisation, but...well,
doesn't it just piss you off that Tom's guitar on the single was
direct-injected into the mixing console? Awful, awful tone can marr even the
best playing. In the Strokes' case, it's not really marring the playing,
because it's fairly ordinary, but in my opinion, it's still a cryin' shame
that it just doesn't SOUND good. Hell, the rougher single version of "The
Modern Age" is way better than the one on the album. The album is
simultaneously poorly recorded and a little too sterile to what those guys
are capable of.

And let us not forget the worst part: where the hell are the fucking drums??

-nick