RE: (TV) OT: Listening to anything new since the holidays?

Yesterday, I found a record called Marty Thau presents '2x5', an early
eighties Red Star comp that opens with the Fleshtones - not new to me,
Bloodless Phaoros (pre-Stray Cat Brian Setzer's Long Island New Wave act -
not very good). I bought it for the Student Teachers tracks (still looking
for anything on this band) but also enjoy the Comateens and the Revelons.
Interesting document on a way CBGB style mutated into New Wave.

I'm also a fan of End Of The Century. Which is why I picked up a mint vinyl
copy of Ronnie Spectors 1980 lp 'Siren'. It's interesting that while Phil
Spector was directing The Ramones at gunpoint in L.A., Ronnie managed to
break free and return to NYC under the direction of Genya Ravan to jam with
the (still extant?) Dead Boys. Released on Genya's 'Polish' label it opens
with a Ramones cover (Here Today, Gone Tomorrow) and then after that the
record doesn't age well, although if you love Ronnie's voice, she does do
great work here.

The problem is that the whole execution is a little too headband-rawk and
seems to miss the point of the Ramones stripped down style. It shows that
the song has solid structure but she goes with a power ballad arrangement
get it on the air alongside Pat Benetar. Too much pedestrian wankery, I
might even go as far as to say Phil's way was the right way (I love the
Psycho strings on EOTC's Baby It's You, obviously the work of a madman, but
I love it).

I admit, I listen to a LOT of pop songs from the 1960s, with the various
Pebbles, Where The Girls Are comps, I'm consistently finding new old
diamonds. Why does all this serious new rock leave me cold and 'I Want A Boy
For My Birthday' by The Cookies make my brain dance and my algorithms
flutter? They really knew how to stuff a lot of rocking into 2.5 minutes.