Re: (TV) OT: Listening to anything new since the holidays?

Music related presents were books; Reggae Explosion by Chris Salewicz(don't normally like coffee table type books but this is lovely) and Ginger Geezer which is the story of Viv Stanshall.

So had to buy some stuff myself. Got the Kinks' Everybody's In Showbiz because I no longer had a copy of Celluloid Heroes. Got Wild Gift by X, on CD--another album that disappeared from my collection so I hadn't heard it for years--most of it still sounds good to me. Got Augustus Pablo Classic Rockers which is lovely and a compilation cd of everything brought out by The Nils which I haven't played yet.

I managed to see Pere Ubu around the time when Cloudland came out(but before I heard the record). I wasn't really expecting much but they were really great. I had Cloudland on vinyl but not sure where it is but I do have two 12" from that time including an extended version of Waiting For Mary. Philip I can put them both on tape or mini disc if you're interested but I'm unable to burn stuff.

From: "Philip P. Obbard" <pobbard@yahoo.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: (TV) OT: Listening to anything new since the holidays?
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 14:39:31 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

Anything new on the playlist since the holidays? For a belated birthday
present, I received the Mayflies PITY LIST, which is quite good (produced by
Chris Stamey, no less), and Moby's PLAY.

I picked-up the Go-Betweens FRIENDS OF RACHEL WORTH just before Christmas,
which has really grown on me. Highly recommended.

The weekend before New Year's I picked up two fantastic used Pere Ubu CDs,
neither of which I had heard before: TENEMENT YEAR and WORLDS IN COLLISION. I
had lost interest in Ubu after DUB HOUSING and never bothered to pick up
anything recent. I had read that their post-1987 material was more
"accessible", but I was unprepared for how GOOD these albums are. Both have
sonic texture galore, but with those outstanding melodies snaking in and out of each track, popping up where you least expect them. Now, if I can just get some kind soul with a copy of the rare CLOUDLAND CD to make a CD-R for me (nudge, nudge)... either way, I'll definitely pick-up Ubu's 1990s work over the next
few months. I'm really blown away by it.

So, that's it for me. How about my fellow Television fans? Anything
post-holidays on the turntable/CD player/8-track?

--Philip