(TV) Verlaine's Lack of Generosity?

From: Brian Young
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 1:04 PM
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) TV Old Interview in
Boston Rock Magazine

>I hadn't seen it before. Tom seemed
>to take almost total credit for the
>guitar arrangements, and his lack of
>generosity (or is it a lack
>graciousness, or modesty?) took me aback.

Brian,

I respectfully disagree.  I think you're
being unfair. Whether you believe
Verlaine or not on the subject of
arrangements/creativity/authorship
on Television songs (albeit "Days"
and a few on 1992's "Television" esp.
'Rhyme' (and I--for better or worse---
may be one of the few on MM list who
believes him), TV has several times made
similar statements, e.g., Rolling Stone,
3/20/80, 'Tom Verlaine:  Looking for Life':
"Verlaine who wrote and arranged most of
Television's songs left the band because
he wanted to play with other musicians.
'It wasn't like working with someone with
real give-and-take," he says.  *I did sixty
to ninety percent of all the arranging
on the songs, so a lot of it was showing
people parts to play. Todd Rundgren
used to say, It's so much faster to do it
yourself---why show someone else how to do
it? ' "
-------------------------
Maybe Tom's lying or exaggerating each time
---I don't think so.  I also believe that
Richard played fantastically on the
Television records, however, at least on
the first two it's Tom's baby and Tom's
arrangements.

Furthermore, MsSecretX said on MM list last
Spring:

>At all of the 1992 Television shows that I saw,
>Tom gave Richard the spotlight literally. I was
>with Tina Weymouth at one show and she said
>Tom used to do that at CBGB shows. When the
>spotlight is on Tom, he steps back, unless
>he's at the microphone.

There's a supreme irony here:  Not only did
Tom bend over backwards to give Richard
the spotlight during the 1st reunion tour,
but Tom did it again on the second
reunion tour in Europe and possibly in the
States for all we know.

	Leo