(TV) cds vs. vinyl / an objective view

In message <38B384DEF70FD51190060002B32C2A730CC5E5@vntmail03.volpe.dot.g
ov>, Casey, Leo J <CaseyL@VOLPE.DOT.GOV> writes
>ps:  Keith would you say a few words in
>defense  of vinyl Television/Verlaine.

Vinyl is the only real way to listen to Television/Verlaine albums.
Vinyl is the only real way to listen to any recorded music. This has
been scientifically proven here in the south of England where we labour
night and day conducting exhaustive tests. CDs are great for storing
computer data and make attractive coasters when they mysteriously decide
to become unreadable.

Despite the claims of Mr Sony and his cronies, CDs do not last for ever
and are not indestructible.

CDs were invented as a way of getting Dire Straits music onto the
shelves of 7-11s and Woolworths. This is true.

To paraphrase my favourite Neil Young theory, people don't really get
excited about new music any more because their brains quickly become
bored with the 'predictable' sound produced by CDs.

I know nothing at all about digital technology, CD mastering and the
like but I know that the sound that "See No Evil" makes rushing out of
the speakers when I put the '77 record on is the sound of Television and
I know that nothing I've heard of them on a CD comes close.

Besides, I'm old and all you young folks don't remember the thrill of
buying each Television/Verlaine record as it came out. I know that all
any record company ever really wants is my/our money, but when I hold a
12" vinyl sleeve in my hand I'm looking at some kind of artwork and when
I hold a CD I'm looking at a piece of product. The CD is a cynical
manipulation - hands up anyone who got rid of/stored away their vinyl
collection and then went and bought the same pieces of music, again, on
CD.

I guess it's a matter of taste and a question of what you want from a
recording: a vinyl copy of any Eagles album can also make a most
attractive bowl or even ashtray when gently heated to pliability in the
oven. On the other hand, a CD will produce a rather spectacular display
if placed in a microwave oven for thirty seconds or so.

Besides #2, I'm an opinionated old fart and unlikely to change my ways
or views at this stage in my life.

K.