Re: (TV) Sweet Music to my ears / Heaven / Edge

The Daily Show (Comedy Central) savaged the entire halftime show last night,
but they pointed out the absurdity of the "falling tower of names" - it was
really touching, but only if your last name ended with A through D. If your
last name started with E through Z, you were outta luck.

I agree about the Messiah complex. I thought the whole Sept. 11 tribute playing
second fiddle to Bono dancing around was in poor taste, but I recognize that
different people remember and grieve in different ways. My complaint is that I
chafe when I see pure entertainment events (like the Superbowl) try to remind
me of the suffering in the world, and consequently imply their own importance
and social conciousness in bringing these issues to my attention. I *know*
there's suffering in the world. I don't need the Superbowl to remind me. A
tribute to the military or people at home who risk their lives to protect us
wouldn't have bothered me at all (like the tributes when Mariah sang the
national anthem), but the individual civilian names being run Vietnam
Wall-style behind Bono... I don't know.

Maybe I am a sourpuss. I apologize if I offended anyone.

--Philip