Re: (TV) cds vs. vinyl / an objective view

--- wesley yang <wesyang@yahoo.com> wrote:
> A person who prefers vinyl is a person who has listened carefully. Period.
> To tell the truth, it doesn't even take much in the way of careful listening
> to perceive the difference between the brittle sterility of even the best
> CD's against the warmth and presence of a well-maintained record.
>
> Vinyl, and analog recording in general, just sounds better. This is not
> faddism, snobbery, being set in old ways, clinging to anachronism. It's not
> even a matter of taste.

Frankly, I find color TV and movies brittle and sterile. A well-maintained
black and white TV has far more warmth and presence (often literally, since
they tend to be older TVs now). Color TV is an often an imperfect
representation of true color (it is), so it's not even worth watching. (No, I
don't mean 'colorized', I mean things actually intended to be seen in 'color').

You really COULD make this argument in the 1940s, when Technicolor was new.
Color has improved a lot since the early Technicolor films. Likewise, while
early CDs often didn't hold up to vinyl, and reissues tended to be taken from
masters EQ'ed for vinyl, most of those problems are things of the past, and
they represent failures of implementation, not of the technology itself.

Oh yeah, and I also really liked it when early personal computers used audio
tapes instead of floppy disks and CD-ROMs for data storage. Sure, the tapes
held much less data, they degraded erratically, and as a result you never knew
if you were getting the right/correct data from them, but there was this
tangible warmth and presence to the whirring audio tape that I just can't find
in CD-ROMs, Zip disks, etc. I would use one all the time, except then I
couldn't write to this list to badmouth digital technology.

--Philip, whose parents thought color TV was a fad and resisted until 1981.