Re: (TV) Marquee Moon - the song

In message <20020216190320.11248.qmail@web21108.mail.yahoo.com>, Jay
<piazzasanmarco@yahoo.com> writes

>Verlaine wrote most if not all of MM.  Back then Lloyd
>was not the guitar god he is today.

I think it's too easy to take it for granted that Verlaine played all
the 'great' stuff on MM and not necessarily true.

> verlaine
>apparently feels no ownership toward particular solos.
> now that lloyd can play them, he he takes the lead...

But isn't that what's so great about Television? A whole that's greater
than the sum of its parts? When I saw them last year there was no sign
whatsoever of anyone's ego in the performance. No-one pushed themselves
as "lead" guitarist. Verlaine might have written all the songs but he
never seems to trumpet his 'ownership' of them and, indeed, it was
Richard Lloyd who seemed to breath (guitar) life and energy into most of
them. A Tom Verlaine live performance and a Television one are two very
different things and Verlaine and Lloyd together just produce something
that I've never heard with Verlaine playing with Jimmy Ripp, for
example.