Re: (TV) Richard Lloyd & Chris Stamey

BTW, the only Stamey solo LP I have is FIREWORKS, which I'm not crazy >about. Anyone heard IT'S ALRIGHT? Is it better than the title states? :^)

Having just listened to it today, I must say that it was better than I remembered. I don't like it as much as "It's a Wonderful Life", but I like it more than "Mavericks" (which I like a lot, BTW).

I think that Stamey shot himself in the foot with the album's title ("It's alright", that is) and whoever decided on the cover photo of him should have lost their job over it. I think some artists overlook the importance of a good cover and album title. As little as we like it, many *do* judge a book by it's cover, and Stamey looks absolutely gutted on the cover. Like his girl just left him for his best friend. Musically, I like the juxtaposition of happy sounding music with themes of bitterness and despair, and this album looks at the future with a bleak, pessimistic eye and seemingly low self-esteem. Not Top 40 lyrical fodder, but right up my alley unfortunately. The title of the album and song of the same does not refer to the quality of the music within, which is mis-leading. Rather, it is a statement of resignation as in "Nothing ever changes [read: improves], but It's alright".

(Although, his first solo single - "The Summer Sun" / "Where The Fun >Is" is >easily one of my favorite 7" singles, ever - both sides are >fantastic pop)

This single, and the Lloyd-written single are the only things of Stamey's I think I've missed out on hearing so far.

Best Regards,

Brian