RE: (TV) R&R Hall of Fame

Plus I have no idea what's going on in that booth (I'd love to take
a tour) It's a live show and there could be microphone and guitar
strap problems.  I get the feeling they get a definite map of what
the mix is, set it in stone and then press go when going to air,
not much time is spent getting it really right or dealing with
exigencies of live rock and the real guts of it, the wrongness that
makes it so right. Whenever I see this Alice Cooper clip from
Midnight Special it seemed like they were trying to ooze anguish
from I'm Eighteen out of that little muddy speaker; it made the LP
version seem polite. I'm sure there were a few guys in the 1940s
who grooved out on thick fuzztone, but most ears were tuned to Bing
Crosby. And in the seventies color TVs were being manufactured and
deluxe wooden consoles with enhanced monophonic sound, louder more
clear a wider aural palette to fill. but I'm going in a direction
here that I might not be qualified to explore. So I'll leave it
with the words of Mann/Weil, in there famous speech for former
president Max Frost, "There are new dreams rising up angry in the
sky. There's a new voice crying we're not afraid to die. Let the
old world make believe we're blind, deaf and dumb, but nothing can
change the shape of things, nothing can change the shape of things
to come."

xoxo,
Pat Boone