Re: (TV) Math Rock (was: Recent listening)

At 11:12 PM -0700 4/10/02, Russ Van Rooy wrote:
 > For some reason, I've been in kind of a math-rock phase -
 Okay, since it's been brought up here - what the HELL is math-rock?

A kind of metal rock that looks to King Crimson and Rush (and many others)

Ah, you kind of beat me to it in a way, Russ. I'd say keep the "complex" structures and weird time signatures (especially) and drain out all the D&D S/F imagery (because it's often instrumental, thankfully...but see below), and remove the virtuosi solos in favor of whole-band texture. There's a sort of indie flavor to the guitar tones--not a nu-metal crunch, but that tube-amp-on-8 kind of thing. The goal is to have complex patterns that change on a dime, so the whole band has to keep counting beats to know where they are and when to change. Hence "math rock."

You could argue a similarity to Mission of Burma, now that I think of it, and Fugazi, June of 44, and Bitch Magnet, especially when David Grubbs was in the band (for _Umber_).

To make up for the lack of vocals, there are often loooooong song titles. From the Don's ouvre alone: "Bears See Things Pretty Much The Way They Are," "In The Abscence Of Strong Evidence To The Contrary, One May Step Out Of The Way Of The Charging Bull," etc. Although some math rock bands *do* incorporate vocals.

as proto-types, and has Tool as it's main exponent today...?

Well, I wouldn't have thought of it that way. I mean, they seem like a nu-prog-metal band to me. My nephew likes 'em, and I'm sure all the exurban kids have heard of them...but I'd think to be in the math rock bin, you'd need to be obscure. A fairly good list is here: http://www.epitonic.com/genre_listings/mathrock.html And you may want to check out the Don Cab tracks, although for my record-buying dollar, _What Burns Never Returns_ beats _American Don_ with a sharpened titanium spatula. ("June Is Finally Here" is one of the less-intense, more emotionally warm tracks on the CD. Well worth a listen.) Dunno what Ian Williams is up to, but word is that Mike Banfield's putting a new band together, as is--separately--Damon Che (with members of Uzeda, apparently).

And let me also say that I'm thrilled to see on the above list that there's a math rock band named Durian.
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/