Re: (TV) Old Tom & Hall & Oates / Strokes on Letterman

Perhaps the writer meant Crosby & Nash (or Stills & Nash, or Crosby & Stills), who'd have some chance of knowing Neil's mike choices on Zuma, but thought it was amusing to call them by the name of the other duo? Not likely, I suppose. But to supplement Leo's soiree theory, keep in mind that there was a time when Darryl Hall was hanging out with some of the artsier element: He sang on Robert Fripp's "Exposure," and Fripp produced (or was supposed to produce?) Hall's "Sacred Songs." Since Fripp was a part-time member of NY's artistic/musical demimonde around that time - playing on Blondie's "Fade Away and Radiate" and Talking Heads' "I Zimbra," and producing the Roches - Hall may have also been on the scene.

- Jesse

Leo wrote:

As far as Verlaine questioning Hall and Oates (kind of boggles the
mind just imagining it, doesn't it!?), I have never seen/read the
original source of this.  Can anyone on list recall anything about
it? (Or do you think the Village Voice writer was pulling the readers'
proverbial legs?)

Speculation:  Our Tom was quite the social butterfly back then, and
would frequently host these well attended and extended salons/soirees on the front stoop of his tiny old apartment, during which most
of NYC's literati and intellectuals (e.g., Hall and Oates) would
wax philosophically on some of Tom's favorite musicians such as Ravel
and Neil Young.

[snip]

 >Thanks Leo. Good read.
"Or the time [Verlaine] asked Hall and Oates what mikes Neil Young used on
'Zuma', as if they'd know?
When did this happen??