Re: (TV) For the guitarists on the list (not me)...

At 9:43 AM -0700 4/15/02, Jay wrote:
How great is Verlaine's Little Johnny Jewel solo on
"The Blow Up"

Way.

and why?

The short answer: check out the main riff. Not a whole lot of rich harmonic material there--it's a very simple riff. And yet TV's able to spin out these phrases that respond to the riff in different ways, increasing the tension in rhythm and interval, pushing against it, pulling away, seeming to depart, resolving, then pushing up the tension again, and then finally coming back to the theme in a really satisfying way. The solos go on for quite a while there, and he never exhausts them (for me, anyway).

I should also point out that this is a fine, fine moment for Billy, too, who does much the same kind of rhythmic commentary with his drumming.
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/