Re: (TV) For the guitarists on the list (not me)...

>Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:12:06 -0400
>From: Maurice Rickard <maurice@mac.com>
>Subject: Re: (TV) For the guitarists on the list (not me)...

>At 5:48 PM -0700 4/18/02, Jay wrote:
>>I know I am biased, but I believe this is the greatest
>>guitar solo I will ever hear.  You can FEEL the emotion.
>
>Because I'm curious, which emotion(s)?

I would like to go on record as saying that one of my least favorite ways of
people describing someone's playing is as some emotional quality that can be
felt. I'm not trying to be rude here, but it usually strikes me as a cop-out
of sorts. Maybe you do indeed have some emotional response to what's being
played, but you *can't* pin down for certain what emotion the musician
themself is feeling and what they're trying to express. I've never enjoyed
saying "I feel this" because it's so slight a statement, it almost negates
the point of bothering to listen or issue some statement understanding.

Again, please do not take offense; let's just have some specifics, if you're
feeling something! :)

To me, the thing that makes the version of LJJ on The Blow Up so great is how
solid the band is -they transition PERFECTLY through the whole thing (barring
a possible tempo slip when reprising the section which immeadiately precedes
the first lines of lyrics). Ficca's drumming, as mentioned before, is a
knock-out, and my only complaint is that the fidelity doesn't entirely do it
justice until you listen to it. What makes the solo great? It's the
definitive Television mk ii Verlaine solo moving into the
crazy-stutter-style/moving into dangerous place suggested by some of the mk i
demos and live tracks that have surfaced: yearning, lyrical stuff which isn't
all the complicated, just very well phrased, and then it turns into absolute
textural madness without totally abandoning its melodic sensibility. If I'd
have to attach any kind of imagery to it, it'd be a thunderstorm, no
question.

I have no doubt in my mind that it's *the* definitive Verlaine solo (at least
Television-wise), and if they only could have hit upon that in the
studio...well, just imagine the possibilities.

-nick keiser