RE: (TV) Press Coverage / Latest RS

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Ferguson
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 5:48 PM
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: (TV) Press Coverage

>Television have some great coverage in the new special edition of Q in UK .
>Its a punk special and features a full page on the band ( nothing we didn't
>know already ) a good selection of photos ( which I hadn't seen before ) and
>a 5 star review of MM in the 'essential albums' section .
>Can type out the text tomorrow for anyone interested who cannot get a copy .

When I bought the issue of Rolling Stone (below) last night at the
supermarket, the cashier noticed the Ozzy Osbourne first-family on
the cover and tried to engage me in a conversation about Ozzy.

Being in a foul mood from the pouring rain, I muttered that Ozzy
& family were not why I was buying the mag---it was to possess RS's
fabulous 8"x5" wedding photo of ZZ Top on page 10.

	Leo

From: Rolling Stone, May 9, 2002, page 25

"TELEVISION INCITE GUITAR-GEEK ORGY
Irving Plaza
March 19th and 20th, 2002
New York"

Television were one of the greatest rock & roll bands ever coughed
up: mystical guitar boys who dressed up like punks and sang like
poets while exploring the mind-expanding properties of the ten-minute
Fender Jazzmaster solo. For their first New York shows in almost ten
years -- the same week that their old CBGB confreres in the Ramones
and Talking Heads entered into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame -- the
veterans sounded surprisingly loose. They reached back into their
Seventies catalog, tossing off obscure bootleg faves like "O Mi Amore."
They radically revamped such classics as "Marquee Moon."  And, of course,
they took forever tuning up between songs.  "We haven't changed," guitar
guru Tom Verlaine said apologetically during one marathon tuning session.
"The time between the songs is longer than the songs."

Although both shows followed similar set lists, Television improvised
different versions of the same songs:  the first night offered a much
trippier "Marquee Moon," while the second night's "Little Johnny Jewel"
was one for the record books.  As a lead guitarist, Verlaine hasn't lost a
stroke.  (So why hasn't he made a proper solo album in fifteen years?  Just
wondering.)  Amazingly, neither has drummer Billy Ficca, whose rolling-thunder
interplay with the guitarists was fantastic both nights, as Richard Lloyd's
Strat breathed fire into such nuggets as "See No Evil", "Venus", and
"1880 or So."  With Verlaine jokingly introduced himself as film-noir tough
guy Richard Widmark, this reunion was as playful and generous as any
Television fan could have hoped: an orgy for guitar geeks.  ---Rob Sheffield

[A 2"x2", medium-shot (from knees to top of head), color photo of Verlaine
playing guitar while singing into microphone follows.
Photo's caption reads,  "Ten-minute man: Television's Tom Verlaine."]