Re: (TV) MM--Another mention in the press

While we all know it's a masterpiece, there are other
views, though this one is a bit perplexing (lifted
from amazon.com):

The album deserves 3 1/2 stars on the strength of the
song "Marquee Moon" alone -- an hypnotic anthem that
is one of the most amazing songs I've ever heard (the
guitar playing sends shivers...). If for no other
reason than to hear that song, buy this album. I also
like the opener, "See No Evil," and "Friction," both
of which are a little more up-tempo than the rest of
the album (although not close to being punk rock in
their sound. I am willing to call Television "punk"
based on the band's aesthetics and its emergence from
the NY punk scene, but most of its music sounds more
like a mixture of early New Wave and mid-period King
Crimson-type progressive rock than anything resembling
punk. I think Verlaine ended his interest in punk rock
as a musical expression when he kicked the almighty
Richard Hell out of the band -- probably, in the end,
a good move for both). Outside of those three songs, I
don't find the rest of the album to be very
interesting. Plus, I don't always appreciate
Verlaine's vocals (he sort of sounds like Chrissie
Hynde at times). Still, what an awe-inspiring title
track...

=====
"If every museum in the New World were emptied, if every
famous building in the Old World were destroyed and only
Venice saved, there would be enough there to fill a full lifetime with delight.  Venice, with all its complexity and variety, is in itself the greatest surviving work of art."  --Evelyn Waugh