(TV) Heroin Gossip: One More Time With Feeling? Ain't That Nothin' a s an anti-heroin/user song

>I don't think you need to defend Mr V.
>so strongly. If any of these rumours bothered
>him then he's free to speak out.

This e-mail is not specifically directed at Keith.

I think anyone who seriously believes that Verlaine
reads the posts on this List is living in a fantasy
world.

One of the primary reasons (among his vast multitude)
that Verlaine doesn't read the MM list's postings is
because he (wrongly?) believes they just consist of a
bunch of gossip. And that's just what this heroin stuff
is, gossip.

You know, I feel that probably no matter what I say
about the Verlaine and heroin topic, I'm not really
going to change anyone's point of view.

It's very analogous to when I talk to people who are
politically very conservative; the bottom line is
that it doesn't really matter what specific details,
arguments or evidence I or others of my ilk
marshal and bring to their attention.

What it basically comes down to in the end, is that
different people have different inborn and acquired
political views of the world [that except for rare
cases don't change], and that the exact same events
or evidence will be processed through each's viewpoint
in such a way as to continue to bolster each others
diametrically opposite takes on the world.

But what the fuck, I like to think of myself as a
rationale guy; so here goes, one more time with
feeling.

My take remains that the *preponderance* of evidence
(albeit some of it circumstantial) is that Verlaine
was never "into" heroin with the exception of using
it once or twice[?] in late 1970s---nor was he part
of any drug "scene".

This evidence consists of (in ascending order of
strength, i.e., stronger evidence as numbers go up):

1) My observations of Verlaine while attending 15 or
so shows in 1980s-1990s**;

2) Several Verlaine interviews on this subject [see
Keith's site];

3) Material in MM list Archives from last 2 years;

4) Verlaine's well-known personality trait/predilection
to remain totally in control at all times (the
antithesis of someone who is a heroin user);

5) Ms Secret X's many years (early 1978-1995[?])of very
close personal contact with Verlaine, her observations
of TV then, her continuing good friendship with him since,
and her e-mails to the MM List;

5) Richard Lloyd's serious problems with heroin both as
a member of Television in 1970s and later with his own
band in mid-1980s (as well as other musician drug
casualties, which Verlaine knew of) had a big impact on
Verlaine;

6) Verlaine's twin brother's death from heroin use in
1982 (obviously affected his attitudes about/towards
drugs and heroin in particular);

7) Despite silly rumors there exists not one shred
of credible evidence to believe that TV was into
heroin (and shouldn't a man be considered innocent
until proven guilty?); moreover, the burden of proof
is on those who would attempt character assassination
and those who believe he was "into" heroin---the onus
is not on TV;

8) Application of the above and a healthy dose of
common sense.

**Note to (1) above: a) TV never appeared drugged
or even drunk, in fact, my friends and I used to kid
about how all he ever drank was bottled water next
to his amp; b) He turned down numerous free drugs
from 'fans' at Hampshire College in Northampton, MA;
c) He always appeared closer to a 'Mr. Natural' comic
book character about what he ate or ingested (with the
exception of those constant freakin' cigarettes.)

Regarding the separate, related but weaker argument
of guilt by association, aka the 'hanging out' with
the heroin/music/social scene:

Yes, TV shared a stage and played with the two
sometime-junkies Richard Hell and Lloyd, but face
it, Verlaine kept a low profile socially (and
continues to do so the present)--I'd got so far
as to claim he was then and continues to be now a
virtual recluse who makes Howard Hughes in his later
years seem like an absolute party animal!

Yeah, TV with his tall skinny body, facial bones,
and hollow sunken eyes, has always looked like a
poster boy for drug abuse and the drug scene---even
as recently as the May 2001 Television reunion show
in Chicago.  But looks can be quite deceiving.

And yes, there's that eerie MM album cover made by
Robert Mapplethorpe by taking a regular photo of
the band and making a deliberately 'bad' xerox copy
of it. Yes, the veins of Verlaine's hands are
prominent, but have you ever seen his hands in-person
up close?--they're gigantic, even striking looking, a
personal feature Michael Carlucci also remarked upon.

OK, so TV didn't reject Mapplethorpe's final photo
which maybe helped sell a few million more copies
of MM because TV thought it might not so subliminally
suck in a few more buyers, who thought they might be
getting another rock 'n roll & drugs band.  Let's
assume TV was guilty of all that (after all, we all
know how he will do anything to make his music
more commercial and acceptable to the mass market).
That still doesn't make him into a hanger-on or
manqui of the infamous 1970's demimonde/drug scene.

	Leo

PS: For any of you Verlaine-oligists or tea-leaf
readers of his lyrics: the song Ain't that Nothin'
was quite likely written by him as a total rebuke
of Richard Hell's/Lloyd's heroin habit or maybe
even TV's own brief encounter with it:

"Oh oh ain't that nothin' [heroin]
Why don't you [heroin] tell me somethin'
Tragedy
Ain't that nothin'
I just wish you'd [heroin] tell me something -

I look in that purse
It's [heroin] a blessing and a curse
Discover dishonor with its thousand commands
It [heroin] ain't worth a shot
Its [heroin's] target is sand
But I love disaster and [because] I love what [the heroin that] comes after"