(TV) Drugs, Squirrels, etc.

Leo, I never noticed that "Ain't That Nothin'" was an anti-drug song.
Maybe you're right. (When I first heard it I thought it was about Patti
Smith, probably because I was being jealous of his exes.) Some people on
this list seem to be fascinated by drug anecdotes. I wonder if now is
the time to reveal the tawdrier events I witnessed when I was a girl
reporter visiting NYC. I'd gone there with the purpose of plumbing the
depths of Television, and I did plumb the depths. First I met Hell at
Cbgb's and he took me to his apartment for an interview during which he
boiled something and then he injected something into his arm after
asking me, "Do you know how to cook up speed?" Was he trying to shock
me, I wondered. He knew my tape recorder was on. (Later when I told Tom
about it he said "That probably wasn't speed, that probably was smack,"
as if there's a difference which toxic substance you shoot into your
veins. (Tom hates needles, by the way.) A few days later I met Richard
Lloyd at Cbgb's and he took me across the street to his apartment for an
interview during which he boiled something and then he injected
something into his arm after tying his arm with a telephone cord. Was he
trying to shock me, I wondered. Was I supposed to write this up? I never
did, until now, but by now such things have been written up plenty,
especiallly in "Please Kill Me." What I saw back then in NYC illustrated
to me why Tom felt the need to separate from both Richards.Thank
goodness both Richards straightened out. Tom never did anything to shock
me that involved drugs. In fact he looked at me quite judgmentally once
when I mentioned I'd smoked some grass. What Tom did do to shock me
involved romantic tests.

"I ask you to cook up dead squirrels I find on the road because I like
to test your limits."  -- Tom, joking?