(TV) New Music

When I'm not complaining about the new TOM VERLAINE reissue (and I'm not even
complaining, so much as just mystified), I've gotten a slew of new music in the
last two weeks.

Bob Dylan - LOVE AND THEFT. Holy SMOKE, I'm not much of a Dylan fan (I have a
bunch of the prime 60s stuff, but I've never really gotten hooked for long on
it), but this album is positively addictive. Playful, rocking, beautiful - it's
really too overwhelming for me to pick it apart. It might be my single best
find in 2002.

Richard Lloyd - ALCHEMY. I've had this on vinyl for years, but I don't think I
ever listened to it enough. It's a surprisingly good record, filled with some
excellent songs, and the keyboards aren't really as bad as everyone makes them
out to be (even if they do sound, at times, like second-rate Cars imitations).
There isn't a bad song on this whole record. The first Lloyd record I heard was
FIELD OF FIRE, back in 1994 or so, and my lasting impression was *not*
positive. I thought it was awful. But I think COVER DOESN'T MATTER and ALCHEMY
are both great, enjoyable records, so maybe it's time to revisit FOF.

Go-Betweens - BEFORE HOLLYWOOD. I've got all the later Go-Betweens records, but
I hadn't heard any of the first three, so I picked up this one (their second,
now with a bonus disc). I'm not as taken with it as I am with the later ones,
but I'll see if it grows on me...

Various - I'M YOUR FAN. Leonard Cohen tribute. I bought this because I wanted
to get the Pixies "I Can't Forget", but it turns out the whole thing is packed
with bands I enjoy, including one member of the Go-Betweens, James, That Petrol
Emotion, Lloyd Cole, etc. The only downside is that I don't really know Cohen's
material, although I recognize quite a few songs (John Cale's cover of
"Hallelujah" has appeared in many films, "Bird on a Wire" was on Johnny Cash's
AMERICAN RECORDINGS, etc.). But it's definitely got a charm, almost
Gainsbourg-esque to my ears. Anyone out there have a beginner's recommendation?

Rolling Stones - BEGGARS BANQUET, LET IT BLEED, GET YOUR YA-YAS OUT. I promised
myself years ago - when a cassette of HOT ROCKS was the only Stones material I
had - that I would never buy an ABCKO-era Stones CD until the catalog was
remastered. Instead, I picked-up STICKY FINGERS and EXILE and bided my time
until Allen Klein fulfilled my wish, and I bought all three of these last week.
They're great - I had really never heard anything from any of these outside of
HOT ROCKS. I had resolved to start filling in my embarrassingly weak Stones
knowledge after I saw the re-release of GIMME SHELTER; my only dissappointment
is that the YA-YAS show isn't quite as amazing as the concert footage in that
film was.

(Ok, I lied - I actually bought BETWEEN THE BUTTONS on CD a few years ago, when
someone described the Undertones' POSITIVE TOUCH as sounding like that Stones
album. It doesn't, even if they borrowed a Stones riff or two. In fact, for the
sake of BUTTONS, I wish it sounded more like the Undertones).

Elvis Presley - ELVIS IN PERSON (live 1969). Pursuing my very limited (I
promise) Elvis interest, I picked this up a few weeks ago. I think it's
terrific - he's really in excellent voice, the band is energetic, and the
production is great. Like the Dylan album, I could play it all day. I just wish
it were longer.

Oh yeah, I also picked-up a secondhand copy of THE MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET,
which is fun but not essential. But I swear my Elvis thing is limited. Honest.
Thank you very much.

--Philip has left the building