Re: (TV) Elvis namechecks Television

The guitar figure must be the one in "Little Johnny Jewel", which have a certain resemblance to the one in "Goon squad", although I've never thought of it before. Have never seen Costello comment on Television, in addition to another character from the 70's London scene (and one of my all time favourites) - Graham Parker, who, asked about Television and Patti Smith and their kinds, stated that he didn't "get it".

Leif Joley, Sweden

Sitting here listening to the most recent re-release of Elvis Costello's
"Armed Forces", and found an interesting tidbit in Elvis' liner notes.
In talking about the song "Goon Squad", Elvis says that "The rhythmic
idea was borrowed from the great Don Covay record, "It's better to have
(and don't need)", but we were too wound up to play it in that fashion.
Added to this was a guitar figure that seems to imitate a very early
record by the New York group Television." Never thought I'd hear Elvis
name check Television... - Steve  Steve Rovnerserovner@mindspring.com