Re: (TV) Geez, it's been quiet - did I break the list again?

So how's everyone doing?

Fine, Joe- how about you? I'm a little jetlagged from spending the past week on the East Coast, but other than that, everything is ducky. But I wouldn't write just to say that, of course.

This past week I listened to 2 groups from long ago, The Slits and The Waitresses. Both fronted by women as you all probably know, and both very different. I hadn't listened to the Waitresses in a long time. I originally bought the album because Billy Ficca was the drummer. The album I just listened to was the live show at My Father's Place from 2/13/82. Billy played great. His powerful, perfect drumming was one of the big differences between these two for me. The Slits drumming was good but less audible and less precise. The Slits album I listened to was In the Beginning, also a live show evidently. To compare and contrast these two, the Waitresses were bright, upbeat and cynical, well-arranged, and it sounded like a big band. Chris Butler's songs- funny and provocative. The Slits were darker, more edgy, powerful but rudimentary. It seemed like the members of the Waitresses were better players and had more command of thier instruments than the Slits, although I love the primitive emotional impact of the Slits music. Two very different bands, but I enjoyed hearing both of these. My thanks to the Amazing Lipster for sending these my way.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Cheers,

Brian