(TV) Verlaine in 1998 / Cry Mercy, Judge Casey!

OK, this is what I have come up with *tentatively*
(not that most people will care a flying donut):

Based on the 'evidence' (so far), I believe that the electric duo of
Verlaine and Rip were NOT performing Music for Film
Project/Program (or large chunks of it) at any time during 1998.

Now that's not to say that some of these instrumentals may sound
a-little-like (or even a-lot-like) parts of the eventual Music for Film program
that Verlaine and Rip put together and performed with/accompanied silent films
between October 15, 1999 through 2002 [aka St. Ann's Church in Brooklyn, NY
was 'world premiere' of Verlaine's Music for Film project] .

But there's a distinction between a few[?] early fragments[?] that resemble
parts of the Film Project's music. but that represent a minority of the instrumental tunes---
the majority[?] of them being more in the vein of mostly[?] bluegrass picking, surf
riffing to a two-stepping waltz , or/and a flamenco-tinged number.

Moreover, please don't take offense [yet], Steve, (and I will apologize profusely if it
turns out I'm wrong), your statement "All I know is that these 3 dates were as
opening act for Patti Smith.  It is Music For Films tunes **although I have not
spent much, if any, time closely listening and comparing to actual Music For
Films shows)**."[emphasis added by Leo],  together with other evidence (and Ms
Secret X's 'testimony') leaves me somewhat skeptical---UNTIL someone who is
familar with the Music for Film performances does a careful comparison with the
July 29-31 1998 Bowery Ballroom instrumentals.

1998:  8 Verlaine shows

June 6, 1998, Worchester, Massachusetts, The Centrum:   Electric duo with
Jimmy Rip.   No set list.  (Opened for Sonic Youth [headliner] and Sean Lennon
[the second act]) ["Verlaine delivered an all-instrumental half-hour set that put an
avant-garde twist on everything from bluegrass picking and surf riffing to a
two-stepping waltz and a flamenco-tinged number. All in all it was probably more
of a stretch for the audience, which offered polite applause, than for Verlaine,
who's always been something of a self-taught virtuoso, and who seems happy
enough leading a low-key life." (Matt Ashare The Boston Phoenix)]

July 29, 1998, New York, New York, The Bowery Ballroom:  Electric
duo with Jimmy Rip.  (Opened for Patti Smith)
 [According to MM Mooner, Steve Rovner, the music was same as Verlaine's
Music For Film programs that Verlaine and Rip performed  throughout
1999-2002, and which were accompanied by silent films. Rovner:  "I've got
shows with these date listed on them.  These three Bowery Ballroom
performances may not technically be Music for Film.  The music is the same,
but I think it was prior to the music and films being presented together in performance.]
HOWEVER, Ms Secret X says [Jan. 17, 2003]:   "... The show had nothing
to do with films.  It was mainly an instrumental show Maybe those instrumental
shows are the ones Steve has, but they're mislabeled. Tom didn't work on the
film project until 1999."

July 30, 1998, New York, New York, The Bowery Ballroom:  Electric duo
with Jimmy Rip.  (Opened for Patti Smith)  No set list.

 July 31, 1998, New York, New York, The Bowery Ballroom:   Electric
duo with Jimmy Rip. (Opened for Patti Smith)   No set list.

October 14, 1998, Cambridge, Massachusetts, The Middle
East Downstairs:  Electric duo with Jimmy Rip:   Eleven instrumental songs
plus Johhny Cash's "I Walk the Line" as encore.  (Opening act: Windy and Carl)
An excerpt from Boston Globe's Jim Sullivan review:  "... a 20-minute,
set-closing vocal tune called, perhaps, "The Ballad of Johnny Cash".

October 16, 1998, Hoboken, New Jersey, Maxwell's:  Electric duo
with Jimmy Rip:  According to a very good source (aka Ms Secret X):
"Tom and Rip played Maxwell's in Hoboken (and only a few people
showed up)."

October 29, 1998, New York, New York, The Bowery Ballroom:  (Electric
3 piece):  Partial set list:  instrumentals and "Kingdom Come" /  "Man in the Back Yard".
Verlaine: electric guitar and vocals; Jimmy Rip: rhythm guitar; Tony Shanahan: bass,
 headlined the Bowery Ballroom (with Patti Smith guesting near the end of the show,
reading poetry accompanied by Verlaine, Rip and Shanahan playing their instruments).

 December 31, 1998, New York, New York, The Bowery Ballroom:  (Electric
duo with Jimmy Rip  (Opened for Patti Smith)