Re: (TV) Why Richard Hell wasn't drafted for Vietnam

> http://www.richardhell.com/cgi-bin/forum/showmessage.asp?messageID=3158
>
> Can anyone address the obvious next question...?

I'd heard stories of guys pretending to be gay and getting it in the butt
from recruiters to test their sexuality.
We all had plans on how to beat the draft back in those days, it was very
popular. My plan was to cut off my little toe and wear it on a chain around
my neck. Fortunately they instituted a lottery system before I was eligible
at 19 and my number came up 207, and they only drafted the first 1/3 of 365.
I'm a couple of years younger than Hell so the war was petering out by the
time I was 19.