(TV) a capella?

Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <200301232336.PAA04787@mail.cruzio.com>, Mark G. Ryan
> <mgryan@cruzio.com> writes
> > Anyone here want to
> > give an a capella performance of a Television song (sorry--no air guitar)?
> > Which song would that be?  Wanna try Marquee Moon?
>

> Hard on Love?

Isn't that basically the same song as "Without a Word" on Dreamtime?
Lovely song.  If so, there's an irony here somewhere ("a capella" vs.
"Without a Word").  Or maybe I'm just getting senile...

In any case, it is more melodic than the average Television song.  So you
win the audition on American Idol (he he he).  A case could also be made
for "Breakin' My Heart."

There are a few songs from Tom Verlaine's solo work that haven't much
melody on the verse but have a distinctive melody in the chorus, e.g.
"Mary Marie".  Others (e.g. "Last Night" or Television's "The Fire"),
have him singing gorgeous flowing lines that turn out, on inspection,
to be mostly harmonic.  My guess: Tom has no problem singing melodies,
he just doesn't think in melodic contours.  Or maybe he just writes the
songs starting out with guitar riffs...I dunno.

Public taste just needs to get educated not to expect a sing-along.

Mark