Re: (TV) Videos /' Hummable' Melodies/hooks in Television's & Verlaine's Music

In message <000a01c2c4a5$dd6f44e0$9e499d40@hppav>, jeff <blueweb@Access4less.net> writes
Under what criteria could Brian Eno be considered a 'superstar'?

Whenever a group of lift/elevator manufacturers are gathered together they bless the name of Brian Eno for making _their_ music into an art form.

Now that's pretty funny, Keith. I guess you're not into Ambient Music, eh? Well, the fact that he pretty much created a genre is notable to me. We couldn't even decide what genre Television fit into. I have always preferred Eno's song-oriented albums, and would put his first 4 solo albums of that ilk up there with the first 5 Roxy Music albums, the first 4 Talking Heads records, the first 3 Wire records as well as the 3 Television albums (insert favorite albums here).

But I never considered Eno a superstar recording artist. He is better known as a producer, and his association with U2 elevated his name recognition more than anything else, but superstar? Not in this imperfect world where Television is not hailed a genius group by one and all.

Oh yeah- one other thing: I love Eno's Ambient albums because there is a menace, a darkness to them that you don't find in those who took his ideas, watered them down, sweetened them up and turned them into the loathsome New Age genre.

Best regards,

Brian