Re: (TV) (long OT) Re: bootleg

Ebay's help on copyright issues:
	http://pages.ebay.com/help/index_popup.html
Click on "C" then click on "copyright".

Interestingly, California now has a "Right of Publicity Law" that
may prevent someone from using the image of a celebrity even if they
own the copyright.   In other words, Andy Warhol might be out of luck
were he living and working in California today!

Never mind free speech.  What's important today is "right of publicity".
What would Thomas Jefferson have thought about that?

Intellectual property laws were supposed to protect creative people
(inventors, authors, composers, etc.), not the kind of "personalities"
that occupy Hollywood Squares and their media company masters.
Ben Franklin even opposed the patent law, and never patented any of
his inventions (but prospered all the same because he was industrious
and thrifty--certainly not traits we value today).

Pretty soon, you won't be able to even mention a celebrity in a book
without paying tribute money.  Not so far from the Thought Police...
Boy, that money that the media companies spent on Bill Clinton was
well invested!!

(Rant follows:) Welcome, everybody, to the United Corporations of America--

	We the Corporation of the United Corporations of America,
	in order to form a more perfect Profit, establish Earnings,
	insure cheap Labor, provide for the common cover-up and
	freedom from product liability, promote coporate Welfare,
	and secure the blessing of unregulated opportunism on ourselves
	and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for
	the United Corporations of America...

	We believe these Truths to be self-evident: that all Corporations
	are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with
	certain inalienable rights, among these are the rights to
	perpetual existance, to form trusts, to exploit labor, to evade
	product liability, to fix prices, to collude with foreign powers,
	and generally to operate contrary to the public interest...

Not so very far from the truth.

Mark