From: "Mark G. Ryan" <mgryan@cruzio.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) Text based Verlaine lyrics?
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 00:20:20 -0800 (PST)

Dear List,

I have been informed by Philip Obbard that I am not supposed to
"public ally criticize someone's work" on this list.

I don't know if this applies to everyone, or just Philip's buddies,
or if it also includes Tom Verlaine's work.  No matter.

Philip's message to me and to Keith Allison should NOT have been
sent privately and not posted to the list.  To condemn publicly,
and allow only a private defense, is just shoddy.

The "off-topic" content in my post, according to Philip, was the
mention of "ALT=" tags.  "even if your complaint has technical
merit".  Is that about the flimsiest excuses you ever heard?

I have enjoyed many of the posts to this list.  But I can't stay
around with a censor who plays favorites and values protecting
his friend's egos more than the truth.  I know I have been unkind
at times, but people have been unkind to me (Keith's comment of
"This is bullshit".)  But I'm not a buddy of the moderator, nor
do I operate an award-winning fan website/shrine.

Moreover, it's clear that people are unhappy because I have openly
criticized some of Tom Verlaine's songs, even though I stated how
much I like and continue to admire his work.   But I also want to
understanding it, which doesn't happen without criticism and a
frank exchange of views.

So I think it is far better for everyone if I just go somewhere
else. (No doubt that was Philip's intention anyway.  This should
make some people very happy.  They can go back to trading 'boots
and to comparing concert dates, and I won't bore them with any more
musical discussions or attempts at humor.

Cheers,

Mark