Re: (TV) (long OT) Re: bootleg

Scott wrote:

>  Can't tell you how prevalent retail bootlegs are these day.  There really
> does seem to be no reason for them to exist.

They were always produced for a minority of rabid music collectors/fans. I
recently re-read Clinton Heylin's "The Great White Wonders - A History of
Rock Bootlegs" and according to him most bootlegs were produced in very
small numbers despite what the RIAA would have you believe.

I used to see counterfeits of rare-out-of-print krautrock, psychedelic
releases all the time and there is still a market for this material I think.
Especially collections of otherwise unavailable material (acetates, demos,
single b-sides etc). It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the runs are
still still limited, as all it takes is someone to post a copy of the cd to
SoulSeek for the retail market to dry up for the most part.

Al
The Mondo Bongos Homepage
http://communities.msn.ca/MondoBongos