(TV) DC show 3/24/03

(I've switched off the Hotmail text editor brzzt text editor in the hopes that this message won't get discombobulated in the transmission)

The DC show was great - a bit like an open rehearsal, with those new songs and with old ones getting stretched into new shapes. A good crowd for a Monday night in the uneasy capitol. The 930 was a dark and cavernous space - the stage lighting added only a very slight glow to the proceedings. The setlist:
-1880 or so
Richard is so amazing, as he was all evening, right out of the box on this one.
-new tune ('Open up the flower shop/ that's where I hang out')
seems a bit like 'Kaleidoscopin', it has the same deep groove. ("Pop, pop, pop") Wonderful - I can't wait to hear it again.
-Venus
-Call Mr. Lee
-Beauty Trip
-Sleep All Day
    This is a weird one. My ears couldn't adapt quickly enough to keep up.
-See No Evil
For me, one of the high, high points of the evening. As exciting as the first time I heard this song. Whew.
-Prove It
   kind of an energy drop from the previous tune.
-(bursts of electric screwdriver)(know your hardware Emily!)into-The Rocket
-Rhyme
a little wordplay ("trouble with customs,...trouble with customs. Even when there's no trouble....there's always trouble with...........customs")
- wild new song('Persia')
Middle Eastern scales over a rock solid blues base; some spacy slide guitar; some singing and soloing in unison by Tom. This is great stuff.
-Marquee Moon
(encores)
-Little Johnny J. ("...Go ahead and run, J.J., run run") featuring Tom's longest and most out front soloing of the evening. I like the way he slowed down the singing at the end; very spooky.
-Glory
like Marquee Moon, this seemed to come to a quiet finish, then rev up again.
-Psychotic Reaction
  (funny ending - "Reac....reac.......SHUN")

I'm glad they're working up these new songs in public. I get the sense of the band moving forward, in exploratory mode. Tom seemed pretty engaged, based on previous reports anyway - his singing was pretty loud and clear, he might have missed some words. I can't believe, the guy standing right in front of us kept talking about 'the reviews of the NY shows' - huh what reviews?? finally I had to ask him, uh, are you on The List? Lo and behold, it was Mr eRacerX himself! So nice to meet you!