Re: (TV) soundboard vs. audience

> I saw Robert Randolph a few years ago at the
> Lakeside lounge which probably
> holds 50 people , great sound. Sort of reminded me
> of Sly and the Family
> Stone with Duane Allman playing slide, at least some
> of the stuff did. He
> had a small band from Brookyln called Sacred Steel.

now it's robert randolph and the family band.  has
cousins on bass and drums, and a keyboardist.  some of
the guitar folks here would probably like what he's
doing -- it's really innovative, how he's using a
pedal steel.  not like you've heard that instrument
played before.

he came out of the sacred steel tradition (as
represented on all those arhoolie discs), now a
crossover act.

i would say he comes across much better live.  i'd buy
tickets to see him again, but probably not an album.