(TV) Precious / 'Not So Alone'

Hope this doesn't strike the list as too maudlin.

Philip's post below reminds me somewhat sadly
of the many, many Television/Verlaine bootlegs
that's I bought in Boston/Cambridge record stores
(and for which I paid very dearly during my long,
quasi-career as a poor grad-student---primarially
during the ears 1977-1988.

Cassettes of 1982-84 shows that had cruddy sonic
fidelity, incomplete songs (that 'ended' half-way
before they were over), low volume levels,
and produced on cheap quality tapes.

Vinyl that was warped or skipped or cracked(!) or
whose sound was brutally bad, e.g., double vinyl
album of 'Television in Portland Oregon' in
1978: my copy sounded as if it had been pressed from a
'Mother-negative-pressing', which itself was 'cut'
by a lathe with an air conditioner or paint spray
compressor turned on right next to it.

Yet I continued to doggedly pursue these recordings,
 and even considered several of them very precious
musical documents of the band. (Still do about
some of my old purchases: e.g., the vinyl 'Arrow' bootleg;
a second-generation Boston May 1982 show recorded on
a guy's $29.99 Radio Shack portable cassette deck;
and an April Easter weekend 1987 Ritz NYC show
that I recorded on an expensive early-Walkman.)

Then one day in April 2000, by a series of fortuitous
circumstances, I was contacted by a Mr. P. (Pet Sounds)
Obbard about joining the MM mailing list.  Subsequently,
I was able to "procure" several fairly decent
Television/Verlaine shows that were a quantum step-up
sonically/fidelity-wise from my previous acquisitions
---one Tom Verlaine at the Ritz June 4, 1982 NYC, I still
consider one of the best cd-rs ever made and the greatest
Verlaine guitar live performance ever captured (I was lucky
to attend this show so I can vouch for the accuracy of
this particular recording--by the way, from a soundboard
--esp. "Breakin' In My Heart", "Penetration" and "Kingdom
Come").

So thank you MM List members for making me
feel so less all alone--to paraphrase Thunders and Dylan
(and ain't that a strange pairing?), and for all the List
Members' incisive and often humorous posts that helped
dredge up my memories of this inimitable music.

And appreciation and hosannas to all the people involved
with the both the original idea (Mr. Rovner) of, and
the recent creation of the 'Carried Away' site
(too numerous to mention here but the List knows who
they are).

	Leo

PS: Keith, where the heck did you unearth those wonderful,
old pictures/advertisements of television technology
circa mid-1950s (which you lovingly embellished with the
band Television references)?