(TV) New Television bootleg from Punk Vault!

I'll say this: When it rains, it really pours. First the announcement of the
FLASH LIGHT reissue, then the news about the expanded MARQUEE MOON and
ADVENTURE reissues, and the legit release of the Old Waldorf '78 show, and now
this!

The bootleg label Punk Vault, who previously put out the POOR CIRCULATION and
NEW YORK STORIES bootlegs, has a new CD called I NEED A NEW ADVENTURE
collecting studio outtakes from the ADVENTURE sessions. This material has
circulated on cassette among a small group for a few years, but this is its
first appearance on CD.

You can see scans of the CD booklet and disc itself here:
http://obbard.net/misc/inana/

Track listing, from the CD itself:
1. Ain't That Nothin'
2. Adventure
3. Glory
4. Days
5. Foxhole
6. Carried Away (aka Vibrato Song)
7. Ain't That Nothin'
8. Careful (aka I Don't Care)
9. Glory
10. Carried Away
11. Up All Night
12. Grip Of Love
13. Last Night (Piano Song)
14. The Dream's Dream
15. Glory
16. The Fire

General comments: For those of you familiar with these recordings, tracks #1-13
are from the tape of "outtakes" - essentially, working versions. #13-16 are a
few of the tracks on the slightly better known "rough mixes" tape. Neither set
of recordings represents an improvement in sound over what's been circulating
for years, unfortunately, and the low volume (dB) level is still heard here.

Track #5-6 and #9-13 are all instrumental.

Punk Vault has included the "working titles" in parentheses, since "Carried
Away" and "Last Night" seem to lack lyrics at this point, while "Careful" was
still known by its original pre-ADVENTURE title of "I Don't Care".

Some notes on individual tracks:

"Adventure" - Obviously, the most sought-after Television song on this disc -
if not the most sought-after Television song anywhere. It's great, inventive,
and with a little work would have made a great addition to ADVENTURE. If this
doesn't make it Rhino's "expanded" ADVENTURE reissue, someone should get fired.
:^)

"Glory" - The first version heard here features the same chorus, but completely
different verses.

"Up All Night" - This is a song I'd never heard of before I heard it here. It
doesn't have any recognizable connection to any future Television or Verlaine
track. Very cool.

"Grip Of Love" - Just a backing track, but very close to the version on TOM
VERLAINE.

"Last Night (Piano Song)" - Now you know why people think 'Tom Thompson' =
'Billy Ficca', as this sounds a lot like the track used for TOM VERLAINE. I'd
never heard this song referred to as "Piano Song" prior to this Punk Vault CD,
although I have seen it referred to as "Pride of Mice", which might have been
(another?) working title.

"The Dream's Dream" - This is the first of three "rough mixes" included on this
CD, taken from a crackly test pressing. There is a lot to listen to here,
notably some instrumental parts mixed-out of the final LP.

This is definitely a disc worth seeking out!

(By the way, as far studio material goes, this is the first Television bootleg
to unleash studio outtakes to the fan community since... DOUBLE EXPOSURE, I
think, back in 1992 or 1993!)

--Philip