Re: (TV) NME Review

In message <20031002170743.11205.qmail@web21106.mail.yahoo.com>
   Jay writes:
> if the numbers reflect scores (out of 10),

Yes, they do.

> they are ridiculous

Obviously those of us in here would give much higher scores, assuming
we went along with giving music 'marks out of 10'. Not everyone has
such good taste as we do. I was surprised to see them mentioned at all.

I don't have a feel for what the writer likes (never noticed his name
before), or whether the scores are from an individual or some kind
of staff consensus, but the other albums mentioned in the column
scored as follows: 'Blonde On Blonde' (10), 'Bringing It All Back
Home' (10), 'Slow Train Coming' (7, 'Nick Cave's favourite Dylan
album goth fans'), 'Self Portrait' (2, 'arsewater personified'),
'Forever Breathes The Lonely Word' (8), 'Let The Snakes Crinkle
Their Heads To Death' (7), 'Pet Sounds' (10, 'so perfect', 'a
touchstone', 'brilliant'). Not too exceptionable, those.

Maybe Rob F is the token 'old fogy' they keep on staff, and wheel
out of his cupboard whenever some of that old-fashioned stuff with
tunes, melodies, tempo changes, and words you can make out, turns
up? Oh yes, and the band isn't called 'The This', 'The That', or
'The Other'.

Who's on the cover this week? The Darkness, with a picture of
the singer in his open-chested one-piece red/white striped spandex.
Jeez!

all the best (from someone who's been reading NME since '70),