Re: (TV) another greatest album list--a lot of shite if you ask me

I think the good list compilers at Rolling Stone should be commended.
It must have taken an awful lot of effort to make a new millennia list
that recalls those old "best-of"'s from the early nineties.  Really,
this might be the safest list ever assembled by a major publication!
Sgt Pepper is back at number one (sorry Revolver, looks like your
revival is over), Pet Sounds is number two, and only one album from the
nineties is allowed into the top twenty, and its of course Nevermind.
This is probably a reaction to all these crazy top 100 lists we've had
recently, which I honestly prefer.  When NME listed "Stone Roses" as
number one (and MM in the top five) it was really damn cool, and putting
"Songs of Love and Hate" as L. Cohen's best album gets them bonus
points.  Even Q, with their placing Nevermind at the top spot, ousting
Revolver, seemed interesting.  I mean, these lists are strictly opinion,
albeit widely held opinion. but still there should be some room for
adventure, right?

I did like how London Calling placed at number 8, as well as the listing
of the American versions of the Beatles albums (my American Rubber Soul
is my favorite Beatles album). I also liked the stated concept that this
list was intended as a dictionary of the great albums, but then they
should've just filed everything alphabetically, and left the ordering to
whoever bought the albums.