Re: (TV) a question (seeking heated debate)

At 8:49 PM -0800 1/20/04, grntg wrote:
hear little to no "Television" in "Television"
Comments anyone?

Well, there's the lead on "1880 or So" which when I first heard it, convinced me that everything was going to be all right with the record. And it was, even if it wasn't a _MM_ or _Adventure_.

And Howard and Keith (grumpy old men), perhaps the
geriatricifaction of many of us on this list makes us
less open to all new music, music is born from music
and we may be taking a "heard that done that before"
approach?

Then the trick is to find stuff that confounds expectations. I know I'm listening to a hell of a lot of IDM lately, but then I'm twisted that way. (This summer that was all people were playing in the van, so I was listening to folk and power pop in iTunes.) This may be my way of keeping my attention span short.

Maurice, I suggest the whoever influenced the pixies -
who influenced Nirvana - who influenced several
thousand bands - be the route to influence your band,
with a healthy mix of Jandek thrown in and your
ukelelee hooked up to the tone moderator (?) you use
on the guitar may be your ticket.

I had the accordion player over last night to rehearse for our Monday gig. We're doing a Coltrane cover ("Equinox" on accordion and ring-modulated guitar), and we'll be busting out the melodica and uke for a dub number. I'm serious--those short, choppy dub chords sound perfect on the uke. And when I use a guitar amp simulator VST, I can fuzz solo over it all...on the uke. And when I played the Jandek tribute I had in November, I put the uke through the ring mod for a feedbacky gong sound.

Now as to the commercial potential of all this, I expect it will be nil. Maybe we can get the new SCLF keyboardist to pout seductively for photo shoots, and I can be the gruff old Robert Quine character in the background.
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/