(TV) RE: Verlaine's great but unavailable songs - The Miller's Tale 2 ? / Take 5

>And I know that this puts me in the minority,
>but "Cover" is a great record...

We, Allison, Thornton, Mark e, and me (and a few others?),
may be in the minority, but we're a minority within the
minority of TV/Television listeners.

INMHO, "Cover" is superior to "WFTW" [albeit an easy
accomplishment]---though "Postcard From Waterloo"
is close-to "Marie Marie" and "Without a Word"; and
superior to "The Wonder"---the same exact (and leaden)
drumming on almost every track, fewer interesting good
songs, so-so vocals, and even its mediocre production
[just as under-par as "Cover"'s], make it my second least
favorite album ["Prayer" and "5 Hours from Calais",
notwithstanding].

Speaking of Calais, from a fascinating audio interview
(supplied to me very recently by a MM Lister), TV said
that he generally writes about places he has never been
to, but of which he has imaginary and probably idealistic
notions.  Related Question: I'm too lazy to go to Keith's
gigography--didn't Television play somewhere in Portugal
in last 2 years?

Back to "Cover".  It's orig. vinyl version and the Miller
Tale's  version of "5 Miles of You" has IMHO one of
Verlaine's 5 greatest studio guitar solos -- simultaneously
virile and tender. (See Monica Kendrick below.)

"...Five Miles of You," with its bittersweet tension between
ambivalence and desire, is maybe the most beautiful of all
Verlaine's love songs; and the segue between the last verse
("Walking out in the wind and light / Before me I see only
you / Walking out in the wind and light / Into the mystery of
you") and the final choruses, where Verlaine's guitar and voice
well up out of the rhythm track, is one of the most transcendent
moments in post punk pop music."

	Leo

PS: One of these days I'm going to drop the qualifier,
"INMHO". :>)

And I know that this puts me in the minority, but "Cover" is a great
record. I certainly listen to it more than "Tom Verlaine", which I've
always considered over-rated.